top of page
A LITTLE BIT OF HISTORY
Troy was settled primarily by Scandanavian immigrants in the late 1800s.
Troy was originally known as Huff's Gulch. In 1890 John P. Vollmer was instrumental in extending the Spokane & Palouse Railway (later the Northern Pacific) to Huff's Gulch from Moscow as a start toward completion of its line to Lewiston.
After establishing a general merchandise store and a large livery stable, he had the town renamed after himself. It was incorporated as Vollmer in 1892. As a businessman Vollmer was very successful, amassing large landholdings and great wealth.
In 1897 the citizens rebelled against having their village named after a man who owned more than 32,000 acres of land, much of it gained by foreclosing on bank loans to farmers.
A Greek railroad worker suggested "Troy," the name of "the most illustrious city in the world" and backed it with an offer of a drink of whiskey for everyone who would vote to change the name. "Troy" received 29 votes; "Vollmer", 9. In the early 1900s, Troy had a bank, a flour mill, a general store, two meat markets, three saloons, several sawmills, one dentist, and a weekly newspaper.
* To learn more about the history of troy, visit The Troy Historical Society & Museum.
bottom of page